Tuesday, July 5, 2016

How Long Does It Take Me to Read a Book?

Depends on the book. As an example, I read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in about 5 hours on a trip to Disney World when I was 11. I read one of those old early 90s RL Stine Fear Street books in about 2 hours when I was maybe 8 years old (I remember because we were visiting my grandparents and my grandma bought me a whole big bag of Fear Street; I read the first one in about 2 hours and my mom was like, “Those have to last you, you know?” And my grandma was like, “No, I’ll take her back if she manages to finish them all before you go home”).

But now I have a job and bills to pay and writing to do. And even then, it depends on the book. I read the entire Raven Cycle in approximately a week if you subtract the time it took for the books to arrive. I read A Court of Mist and Fury in less than 30 hours and it’s 622 pages long (and I had to take notes because it was a library book). I read Throne of Glass in about the same amount of time even though it’s 200 pages shorter.

But I’ve also been working through Delusion’s Master for the last 2 months and it’s maybe ¼ the size of ACOMAF. I’ve had to start, stop, and restart Eye of the World at least six times (I finally caved and bought the audiobook). I read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in less than a day but took several months to get through The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland.

It just depends.

No comments:

Post a Comment