Wednesday, July 20, 2016

How Long Does It Take to Edit a Book? Part 2

Depends on the book and how much work it needs. I often edit as I write (don’t do this; it works for me because I don’t get hung up trying to find the abso-perfect words, and I don’t get discouraged with putting out mediocre stuff on my first or second or third draft, but a lot of people do, so do not edit as you go unless you’re confident it won’t be a problem). Because I do this, the level of help a manuscript needs will often depend on what sort of state I was in when I wrote it. 

House of Gears needed a lot of work because I was so on fire to push it out, I wrote it in 18 days. That was (at the time) 135,000 words in 18 days. Which meant lots of typos. And other things. Passive voice, filter words. Some of this stuff I didn’t even know to look for. Eidolon needed work because it was written for NaNoWriMo but it didn’t need as much work as Gears because I took more time with it. It really just depends on what needs to be done. And also of course, what non-writing-related demands there are on my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment