Thursday, June 30, 2016

How Long Does It Take to Edit a Book? Part 1

Depends on what I need to do, what the problems are, and what it’s like at work, honestly. If there’s low call-volume, I have more time to work between calls. Also, if I have a lot of passive voice (which I do sometimes), that involves a lot of reordering my sentences or sometimes my entire paragraphs to get rid of it. I tend to have repetitive info in each chapter - a holdover from writing fanfiction that only updates every few weeks - so when editing w/ a pen, I have to cross all that out and then delete it later from my docs. 

Like, I don’t edit out of a doc. I edit off a hard-copy of a document, so a big stack of about 400 pages. I’ll go through with colored pens and underline, circle, make notes, cross stuff out. And then I go back to my manuscript doc on my computer, make all those corrections - usually rearranging masses of sentences and possibly adding new scenes, scrapping old ones, enhancing some that are already there, reassigning actions and dialogue between my characters, etc. 

Then I print out another 400 pages, hole-punch them again, stick them in a binder again, sit on it for a few weeks, and then come back to it to edit it all over again. Rinse and repeat until the number of the issues I’ve found have dwindled down to “oh, I just went 30 pages without making any notes, awesome.” Which can take up to 5 or 6, sometimes even 7 printings. Especially because once I get to printing #3 or #4, I’m looking for particular things I notice that keep slipping by me - mostly passive voice, overwriting, and repetition. Those 3 things tend to be my downfall until I get to like, draft 8.

Luckily my mom buys my paper. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment