Wednesday, August 31, 2016

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir Review (4.5/5 stars)



Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear. It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy. There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

“Just because he’s a good leader doesn’t mean he’s a good person.”

“I’d rather die than live with no mercy, no honor, no soul.”

“Fear is only your enemy if you allow it to be. Too much fear and you’re paralyzed. Too little fear and you’re arrogant.”

What I Liked: Oh my gosh, so much! I like that Laia is really scared all the time even though she’s trying to be brave. I like that Elias is biracial and that we don’t know much about his dad and that he comes from a very non-traditional family, being raised by his maternal grandfather. I also like that even though his mother hates him, she still loves him a little, too, even though she doesn’t want to and hates herself. I loved all the characters - Laia, Elias, Helene, Telmun, Elias’s grandfather, even Marcus and Zak - because they’re very fleshed out and believable, even though some of them suck so bad, because each of them is well realized and has strengths and weaknesses, fears and wants, etc. I even found myself pitying Marcus a little bit at the end of the third Trial and then once again at the end of the fourth.

I loved the Trials, even though they were just awful. I loved all the plot twists - I wondered what the fudge was going on with Helene the whole time and I can’t wait to get her POV in A Torch Against the Night. I love how even though the book left us with questions, it wasn’t super frustrating because the author answered just enough to satisfy my need to know things while also keeping some of my questions alive for the next book. I had several “oh s***” moments during the Trials, especially the last one. The book left me wanting to know more without making me frustrated.

The writing was pretty simplistic but still managed to keep that lyrical quality I like in most of the book, even with Elias. And there’s humor in it, too, which can be difficult to pull off when doing that style. The mythology is so interesting - a mixture of Roman and Middle-Eastern things but shown in an all new way. I recognized the mix of cultures in the book within the first few chapters, which really impressed me - a low-key fantasy set in what is essentially Roman-occupied Israel but without the religious contentions that were occurring at the time. I love how there is magic in the world but it’s fairly low-key, only manifesting in the thing about the silverskin and the augurs and the monsters they have to fight. Magic isn’t something everyone has access to, which is cool and makes the stakes harder to compete against, you know?

I loved this book. I need the whole series in my life now. Omg. There were only a few things I didn’t like.

What I Didn’t Like: Very little. There were only a few things. I didn’t like how Elias sort of bought into the whole “the dance of death is my prayer” thing his grandfather came up with for him. Like, I felt changing it a little to get away from the homicidal aspect of it versus the battle aspect (so keeping the first 2 lines, ditching the last 2) would’ve been more in keeping with his character.

And then how people talked about raping Helene like it would totally be okay and it’s like, I feel like the Commandant would’ve stopped him from raping her? Slave girls, I could see the Commandant not caring. And Helene manages to take care of herself, of course, so nothing happens, but Marcus is just like, “Yeah, I’m gonna do it eventually” and nobody thinks to tell an adult? Or Helene’s parents?

And then the Emperor is made out to be this big bad problem but we never see him before he gets killed by the Commandant’s goombas, which was kind of a letdown. Lastly, I do not ship Elias and Laia. I don’t mind them feeling some sort of attraction to each other but Laia has Keegan and Elias has Helene and I do not want Helene getting shafted in this way, she is so loyal to Elias and she loves him so much and I’m a teensy bit tired of the male and female leads falling for each other in YA. I’d like to see where that doesn’t happen.

But those were the only things honestly that I didn’t like and didn’t work for me.

Things of Note: I did edit out some of the violence in the book, just because I couldn’t really handle it. A kid gets flogged to death (he’s like, 10) and I had to edit that. Also, I’d say trigger warning for child abuse, parental neglect, parental slut-shaming, mentions of rape, torture, and mentions of attempted infanticide.

Would I Recommend: If you can handle all the things I mentioned in the above paragraph, than heck yes!!! I absolutely loved An Ember in the Ashes. I read it in less than 3 days even though I had to go to work and pre-ordered the sequel right after I finished it. So there. :)

Characterization: 1 star
Plot: ¾  star
Realism: 1 star
Word Choice: ¾ star
World-Building: 1 star

Plus ½ stars for originality (Roman-occupied Israel for a low fantasy? Dude)
Plus ¼ star for biracial protagonist
Minus ¼ star because why is there only one girl a generation at Blackcliff?
Minus ¼ star because of normalization of rape
Minus ¼ star because it doesn’t pass the Bechdel Test

No comments:

Post a Comment