Thursday, February 2, 2017

People Say Matched Is Stereotypical Dystopian Fiction And...

I can’t agree with the stereotypical, if for no other reason than there’s no war or major battles affecting the main plot. The Hunger Games was all about the violence - which isn’t a bad thing, just saying. Delirium? People were dying or being imprisoned left and right, lobotomized, blah blah blah. The Maze Runner? I don’t even know the percentage of dead kids. Divergent? All the death and dying and shooting and guns and blood. There’s typically so much death by violence in modern dystopian novels. Not so in the Matched trilogy. There’s some in Crossed but not much compared to other series.

Also, you say love triangle, but it was more of a tangle? Cassia sort of likes Xander, Xander loves Cassia, Cassia loves Ky, Ky loves Cassia, Ky gets a crush on Indi, Indi still mourns her dead boyfriend, Indi loves Ky, Xander loves…the doctor girl from book 3, I forget her name, who is mourning dead husband but loves Ky, I mean…I don’t know, I thought that was an interesting message: your first love isn’t always your last. How often do we see that in YA?

No comments:

Post a Comment