Monday, July 30, 2012

My Week - July 28th

My beta, Lorien, does this, so now I'm going to start doing it, too. It helps to give an accounting of one's self at the end of each week. Only in this case, this is going to be more work-related.

So what did I do this past week?

(With Reading)

- Read Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey
- Read Fortune's Fool by Mercedes Lackey
- Read The Sleeping Beauty by Mercedes Lackey
- Read The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey
- Started Home from the Sea by Mercedes Lackey
- Started The Princess and the Snowbird by Mette Ivie Harrison

(With Writing)

- Finished writing chapter 72 of Once Upon a Time
- Finished writing chapter 73 of Once Upon a Time
- Started writing chapter 74 of Once Upon a Time
- Finished writing chapter 4 of Snow White, Blood Red

(With Editing)

- Edited draft 2 of chapters 1-4 of Obsidian
- Edited draft 3 of chapters 5-10 of The Shepherd's Daughter
- Edited draft 4 of the prologue and chapter 1 of Where the Heart Is

(With Critiquing)

- Critiqued 2 chapters of a fellow author's work
- Critiqued a plot issue in Cassandra Clare's City of Lost Souls via my blog-posts
- Reviewed Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey

(Other)

- Talked about the Gospel with one of my Once fans
- Dealt with false accusations on Fanfiction.net
- Answered my fan-mail
- Looked for a job (not writing-work related, but still work-related)
- Found cover images for The Shepherd's Daughter, Where the Heart Is, and Obsidian
- Wrote to an artist asking for permission to mention one of her pieces in Obsidian (to replace Fiver's Playboy Bunny clothes with Toxic Bunny instead)
- Nagged Lorien about chapter 21 of Warrior, lol (I need it, Lorien!)
- Rescheduled a jury summons (blergh)
- Translated "My Love Is Like a Red, Red Rose" into Gaelic for Once Upon a Time
- Translated "My Love Is on the High Seas" into English for Once Upon a Time

So basically, I have re-ordered time. I have turned the world upside down. And I have done it all for the sake of literature. And The Labyrinth. Gotta love those Jareth paraphrases, lol.

---

Now all that reading I'm doing? It's for The Shepherd's Daughter. Why? TSD combines a whole lot of different fairy tale motifs. Mercedes Lackey's Tales of the 500 Kingdoms and her Elemental Mages series technically count as competition in that category. I have to keep up with what one of the best and most popular fantasy writers in the business is doing with her fairy tale novels. Gotta keep tabs on what's popping up in the market. *shrug*

And The Princess and the Snowbird, like its predecessors The Princess and the Hound and The Princess and the Bear, are books written in the spare but evocative fairy-tale style I am trying to capture with the prose of The Shepherd's Daughter. If I could get my hands on Snow White and the Huntsman's soundtrack, that would be even better, I think.

Ah, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment