Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bethmooran Wedding Vows

So I'm at a certain point in my story, Once Upon a Time, where marriage is proposed. Do the 2 MCs get married? Not right now. Sob-sob, tear-tear, blah. However, that prompted me to seriously think about what would happen if they did get married.

Considering she's an LDS human shrink from New York City and he's an Elven prince from the Faerie version of Ireland, what would the customs of a royal faerie wedding be? I mean, if the crown prince gets married, it's huge. Look at Prince William's wedding to Her Grace the Duchess Katherine Middleton. Look at Prince Charles' wedding to then-Lady, now-Princess Diana. Those were some pretty big affairs. They were on international television. There were souvenirs. All kinds of stuff.

So if the crown prince of a kingdom got married, I would think it would be a pretty big deal. And that got me thinking about all different aspects of what would happen if Nuada and Dylan actually got married and blah-blah-blah, and I realized I didn't actually have official marriage vows in case of this specific situation. So I wrote some. =)

I think they're pretty and Old World and formal. I read a few different wedding vows from different historical settings/places - a Celtic-influenced wedding ceremony for a king, a regular Scottish wedding vow from about 1400-1800, and this other marriage vow that was a bit more modern, but still formal and awesome. Then I came up with this.

------

(In Gaelic, the language of Bethmoora)



Tá tú fola de mo chuid fola, cnámh de mo chnámha, anáil de mo anáil.
Chun tú, mé a thabhairt faoi shaoirse mo neart, mo dílseacht, agus go léir go bhfuil mé.
Mé a thabhairt duit mo chorp, go bhféadfadh beirt a bheith ar cheann.
Mé a thabhairt duit mo spiorad go dtí go mbeidh ár saol a dhéanamh.
Móidíonn mé a chosaint tú go dtí mo anáil ag fáil bháis agus mo titim anuas fola.
Leis an fáinne ag fear mé leat. Le mo chorp féidir liom tú a onóir.
Le grá go léir mo chroí agus mo anam liom bhronnadh ort.
Chun tú liom mo shaol a thabhairt ionas gur féidir liom a bheith ina iomláine.
Faoi cheangal ag an grá agus óir faoi bhun sceach gheal faoi an ghealach, faoi mhionn ar airgead,
tá muid i gcónaí ar cheann, agus é séalaithe le póg.



(In English, which everyone reading this probably speaks)

You are blood of my blood, bone of my bone, breath of my breath.
To you, I freely give my strength, my loyalty, and all that I am.
I give you my body, that we two might be one.
I give you my spirit till our life shall be done.
I vow to defend you until my dying breath and my last drop of blood.
With this ring I wed you. With my body I do you honor.
With all the love of my heart and my soul I endow you.
To you I give my life so that I may be whole.
Bound by love and gold beneath hawthorn under the moon, sworn on silver,
we are always one, sealed by a kiss.
 

1 comment:

  1. "I give you my spirit till our life shall be done."
    Change spirit to "heart"

    That's cute! I like it a lot! Just make the change and it'll be AWESOME!

    <3

    ReplyDelete