Saturday, February 18, 2012

Steamy Titles

On a totally random blogging note, I'm stuck on a title for my steampunk fairy tale novel. So far I've got:

Child of Glass and Gears
Child of Gears and Glass
Princess of Glass and Gears
Glass and Snow
Glass and Iron, Blood and Snow
Iron and Glass
Princess of Lightning and Glass
The Steampunk Novel with No Name
Clockwork Apple
A Bite of Poison for the Princess
White Steam, Black Iron (like those fairy tale anthologies, Snow White, Blood Red and White Thorn, Black Rose)
Princess of Gears
Cold Iron

I'm not fond of Clockwork Apple. It sounds like a bad fanfic for the Infernal Devices (you know, Clockwork Angel/Clockwork Prince/Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare). Or the G-rated version of A Clockwork Orange. And obviously TSNwNN is a joke. I'm worried Princess of Glass and Gears - or vice versa - sounds too much like Jessica Day George's amazing "Cinderella" retelling, Princess of Glass. Princess of Lightning and Glass isn't doing it for me, either. Neither is White Steam, Black Iron. Plus, as my MC is non-caucasian, I don't want someone to think I'm trying to make a statement with the title. And Cold Iron sounds like it's about faeries. So does Iron and Glass. And a Bite of Poison for the Princess sounds too much like some kind of dark Gothic novel, and gives too much away (or gives the wrong impression, depending). Which narrows the list to:

Child of Glass and Gears
Child of Gears and Glass
Princess of Glass and Gears
Glass and Snow
Glass and Iron, Blood and Snow
Iron and Glass
Princess of Lightning and Glass
The Steampunk Novel with No Name
Clockwork Apple
A Bite of Poison for the Princess
White Steam, Black Iron (like those fairy tale anthologies, Snow White, Blood Red and White Thorn, Black Rose)
Princess of Gears
Cold Iron

Sigh. Right now I'm leaning towards Princess of Gears, but I don't like it much. We'll see. Sigh again.

- LA Knight

1 comment:

  1. Glass and Gears, or Gears and Glass works best, me thinks!

    ReplyDelete